We've been fostering a mama cat and her four kittens since the middle of March. This has been a very interesting experience for me, especially because I haven't had a cat since I was living at home with my parents. The last time we had a litter of kittens, I was about 5 or 6.
I'd have to say that there is a lot to be learned from simply watching an animal parent their young. Here are my observations:
- Let them explore, but always know where they are.
- Drop everything and come running when they really need you.
- Be patient.
- Trust that they will come when you call them.
- Be prepared to get them if they're too curious for their own good.
- Clean up after them until they're old enough to do it themselves, then teach them how.
- Be a good example, and they will follow your lead.
Pretty wise, this mama cat.